SOMERSET SCHOOLS ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
1. That the Association be named "Somerset Schools Athletic Association".
2. That the object of the Association is to promote the moral, mental and physical development of school children through the medium of athletics: and in furtherance of this the Association may engage in
a. The formulation of expert opinion on the suitability of athletic events and methods of organisation and the dissemination of this information.
b. The organisation of a County Cross Country Championships.
c. The organisation of a County Track and Field Championships.
d. The organisation of a County Multi-Events Championships.
e. The organisation of such other athletic events which may from time to time seem desirable.
3. Eligibility for Affiliation: That all schools in the Area be eligible to affiliate to the Somerset Schools Athletic Association through their own Area Schools Athletic Associations subject to the approval of the Executive Committee.
4. Affiliation Fee: That the affiliation fee be direct from schools to the Areas and not to the County body. Entries for the Association's Championships shall not be accepted from any Area school whose affiliation fee for the current year is unpaid.
5. Officers: That the Officers of the Association be the President; Hon. Chairman; Hon. Vice-Chairman; Ex Chairman; Hon. Secretary; Hon. Treasurer; Hon. Track and Field Secretary and Hon. Cross Country Secretary. These Officers to be elected by ballot of those members present at the A.G.M.
6. Life Vice-Presidents: That nominations be received at the A.G.M. for Life Vice-Presidents of the Association. Such nominations to be for people who have given considerable service to Schools Athletics in Somerset County.
7. Executive Committee: That the Executive Committee should consist of:
b. Three delegates, one of whom shall be a woman, appointed by each Area Association.
c. The County Athletics Development Officer, and such other specialist delegates, who shall be members ex-officio.
d. A representative of the official Sponsor of Schools Athletics, who shall be ex-officio.
This Executive Committee to have power to co-opt and to act in emergencies not provided for in the rules.
8. Sub-Committees: That the Constitution of sub-committees shall be decided by the Executive. That the Officers as defined above shall be ex-officio members of all sub-committees.
9. Annual General Meeting: That the A.G.M. shall be held prior to the E.S.A.A. Annual Council Meeting: that it is hosted by one of the local Area Associations not hosting the previous year's meeting; that 14 clear day notice be given; that a quorum of representatives from a minimum of one half of the local Area Associations be present and that business be transacted as follows:
1. Minutes of the previous A.G.M.
2. Matters arising from the minutes
4. Submission of written Section Reports
5. Financial Report
6. President's Remarks
7. Chairman's Remarks
8. Election of Officers
9. Election of Auditors
10. Nominations for Life Vice-Presidents
11. Alteration to rules (if any)
12. Submission of the Diary of Events.
10. General Meetings: That the Executive shall hold a minimum of three meetings each year on dates to be fixed by the officers. Additional meetings may be called as the Officers deem necessary.
11. Extraordinary General Meeting: That an Extraordinary General Meeting be called by the Hon. Chairman and Hon. Secretary of any one Area Association through the Hon. Secretary of the Association. 14 clear days notice shall be given of all such meetings and a quorum shall be a minimum of one half of the Area Associations represented.
12. Finance: That all funds accruing from the activities of the Association and all trophies gathered under the name of the Association be the property of the Association. That the assets of the Association be vested in banking accounts in the names of three trustees who shall be the Hon. Chairman, the Hon. Secretary the Hon. Treasurer and a nominee of the Executive Committee, two of whom shall be appointed to sign cheques jointly. That the financial year shall end on September 30th, and that a cash statement and balance sheet shall be presented at the A.G.M.
13. Selection: That the Committee to select the Cross Country and Track and Field teams to take part in the E.S.A.A. Championships and in other inter-county fixtures shall comprise:
a. A Chairman of selectors
b. A Secretary of selectors
c. A Senior Team Manager
d. Two other members
ALL 5 members to be selected at a General Meeting.
Information relating to Area athletes, including Area results, must be submitted to the Secretary of Selectors before the meeting so that selection can be sympathetic to the athletic infrastructure within the areas.
All other selection committees should follow the above format.
14. That no alteration be made to this Constitution or General Rules of the Association other than at the A.G.M. or at a Special Meeting called for that purpose. Resolutions passed at a meeting shall operate at least until the next A.G.M.
A Special General Meeting shall be called by the Hon. Secretary on the instruction of the Executive or on the receipt of a requisition of one half of the affiliated Area Associations. That the representation thereat be as in the case of the A.G.M. That 14 days notice of any Special General Meeting and resolutions to be proposed thereat be given to all entitled to be present, and that no other business be transacted at such a meeting.
No alterations should be made to clauses 2, 15 and this clause without the prior approval of the Charity Commissioners.
No amendments should be made which shall cause the Association to cease to be a Charity at law.
15. The Association may at any time be dissolved by a resolution passed by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting at a meeting of the Association of which at least twenty-one clear days notice shall be sent to all members of the Association. Such resolution may give instructions for the disposal of any assets held by or in the name of the Charity.
Provided that if any property remains after the satisfaction of all debts and liabilities, such property shall not be paid to or distributed among the members of the Association but shall be given or transferred to such other charitable institution or institutions having objects similar to some or all of the objects of the Association as the Charity may with the approval of the Charity Commissioners or to other authority having charitable jurisdiction, determine.
Adopted by Somerset Schools Athletic Association on Tuesday 6th. December 1994.